SAFE ND 2023
From September 13th to September 15th, 2023
Following the successful first edition of safeND in November 2021 with a total of 400 participants, the Federal Office for the Safety of Nuclear Waste Management (BASE) has now set the time frame for the second interdisciplinary and international research symposium for late summer 2023. The second safeND will take place from 13-15 September 2023.
We particularly encourage young scientists in all fields of nuclear safety and waste management to present their research findings at the safeND symposium. The topics will range from the decommissioning of nuclear facilities to the interim storage and conditioning of radioactive waste to final storage deep underground. Technical and scientific aspects will play just as important a role at safeND as questions of participation, safety culture and risk communication.
The symposium will include presentations and poster sessions, as well as workshops and open discussion sessions. The symposium will take place on site in Berlin (venue yet to be determined), and live streaming will be available. We will send out the call for contributions with the next circular.
What: Intra- and interdisciplinary discussions on the latest findings in the following research areas:
- Decommissioning of nuclear facilities
- Interim storage of radioactive waste
- Final disposal of high-, medium- and low-level radioactive waste
- Site selection for deep geological repositories
- Participation and communication processes for nuclear safety and waste disposal projects
- Safety culture related to nuclear disposal
- Socio-technical aspects of nuclear waste disposal